As with any Microsoft system that respects itself, the passing time is synonymous with overlogging of the OS. Temporary files, error reports, full recycle bin, cookies, application cache, invalid registry keys... the list is long of anything that can unnecessarily burden your PC. Even if you have a powerful machine, it is the hard drive that suffers the first consequences. A clean system thus allows faster access to files and thus better overall performance. So don't wait any more and read the rest of the tutorial!
Use Ccleaner, the cleaning professional
CCleaner is a free software available in a multitude of languages including French. Then why don't you take it away?
Download it at the following address:
Follow the usual installation procedure and then set the software as follows:
- In the section Cleaner, check everything except for Menu Arrangement cache, Cache Size/Position of Windows, History User Assistant and Customising folders and files ;
You will notice that this section is subdivided into 2 tabs Windows and Applications. For the part Applications, check based on your needs and uncheck MSN Messenger for example, if you do not want to delete login credentials;
- In the section Register, do not hesitate to check everything, even if for caution it is preferable to make a backup of it before any manipulation (option proposed by default or activable in the Options). Note that I have never encountered any problems and you can use this program without moderation;
- Section Tools is again divided into 2 parts.
The first, Disinstallation programs, allows you to do the sameAdd/Delete Programs Windows do the same but also rename or delete an entry that would be invalid. Very convenient when a program uninstalls badly.
The second, Start-up, is none other than msconfig.exe accessible from Execute. It allows you to choose which programs to launch when Windows boots. Be careful not to confuse with the file Start-up of start menu, even though Ccleaner also refers to the entries in this folder. Do not delete only programs that seem useless to you and those whose uninstall has not removed the boot entry (yes, it’s possible!). There are no lists of programs whose launch is unnecessary because choices are very subjective, but be aware that a limited number of programs will greatly speed up the start-up of the PC;
- I let you discover the Options section which is full of interesting settings to configure as functions of your needs such as the exclusion of certain folders to be cleaned or the secure deletion of the type NSA...;
As you can see, Ccleaner is excellent at scouring the system in depth without compromising its integrity. However, some files can still be deleted allowing you to win up to several gigabytes!
Use Windows Vista Disk Cleaning feature
Present in previous versions of Windows, this convenient feature allows you to remove unnecessary files from the system. Although not exhaustive in its deletion choices, it gives the possibility to delete some files not accessible from Ccleaner (at least for the moment because this software is constantly evolving).
- Right click on the volume you want to clean (the main partition in general) and then Properties ;
- In the tab General, click on Disc Cleaning ;
- Wait for a few moments to analyse the system;
- Check according to your needs even if you can normally remove everything without problems. Do not hesitate to read the information specific to each of the options available.
Thus, unlike Ccleaner, Windows Vista proposes to remove Archived Error Reports Files or even the Thumbnails of the folders ;
- Once the choices have been made, please click on OK ;
- The catering points are now to be dealt with. In fact, the function of System restoration occupies several gigabytes by default unless you have disabled or reduced it.
- For this, go back to the utility of Disc Cleaning (I signal in passing that you can access it through the start menu by typing Disc Cleaning) and open the tab Other options ;
- In the section System restoration and snapshots, click on Clean then validate by clicking on Remove ;
Perform these same operations for all the volumes on your PC.
We come to the end of this deep cleaning tutorial of Windows Vista. If you know any other tricks, don't hesitate to let me know in your comments!